2 Pages

Saturday, November 12, 2011

A Movie Doll is Born! For First Responder Training

When Charlie Navarathna asked me to speak with Mary Wickentower, Gentle Heron, Patrick Thorkveld and Satyriasis Seryffe about being in a movie, I was thrilled! I had never really been in a real live movie! And for the chance to help out with a training movie, helping First Responders in emergencies, I felt a twinge, a strange compelling in my cortex and thoracic, I do not think other dolls feel this strange sensation, not before they are sentient, anyways. It was a feeling of obligation, and weight, helping others, contributing to a collective good. I told Charlie "Yes, I would be delighted!" And hurried to the library to learn about acting. I was unsure what they would need, inflection, intonation, accents, purposeful movement, informed action, superobjectives, conflict and resolution, I studied it all, hoping not to let anyone down in my first big performance!


On The Set!

An earthquake, with destroyed highway, buildings that collapse on command, smoke, etc

There we are! as actors run through in panic, and Responders assist us injured

Charlie and Mary Wickentower,  Patrick Thorkveld, and Satyriasis Sheryffe gave the commands to us actors, and Gwen Gwasi, and Shayla Juran, Gentle Heron, Dawn and Xanadu and I all stood for our parts, eager to begin.
   When I got up to them,  was ready, with two monologues memorized, an hour of makeup and a brand new Gisaci sweater!  I was hoping they would ask me if I would do a romantic scene, maybe I could meet my Prince this way! Mouth to Mouth rescuscitation is a lot like a "kiss of life" if you think about it.  But instead they said,
   "So, Charlie says you're pretty good,, how long can you hold your breath?"

I smiled, realizing he could not see the nub of the winding shaft under my sweater and simply said, "A very, very long time sir."

Are you sure this is how the great actresses get discovered?
It occurred rather quickly that 1- I took too long in doing my makeup on my face, and 2- I was glad I pulld the cotter pin from my windup key because it absolutely would have been in the shot. I still had 2 hours to put i back on before I unwound, how long could this take?
   We laughed and joked while the cameramen told us not to move.



   Gwen Gwasi floats a bit before she gets First Responder help, and Shayla got a tan on a piece of road rubble,  I kept my ears above the water to hear the joking, while we waited, and they took many many shots.
   "Okay, let's set up for the Picnic set!"
   We were handed towels and given clothing, T-shirts that had different jobs on them, but the backs all said First Responder.  I noticed as I pulled the dry T-shirt on, the familiar slowness to bring my arms down, the difficulty keeping my back straight. Had it been 2 hours? How long had I been floating?

I think this was a shot for the end of the movie, note the info plaque on the wall
The big  cast shot

Factory worker? Me? Patrick Thorkveld and Charlie Navarathna in the background
We ate french fries and drank tea while the cameras rolled. It was easy to look like we were having fun, because we were! But when they yelled "Cut! Thank you cast!"  The place became deserted instantly. I took this as good advice and leapt onto my scooter. There was some trouble getting my leg to work as I arrived at the shoppe, but associates quickly got my key back on and what a wonderful feeling, to be rewound, and know I had done this movie, for a good cause!

No comments:

Post a Comment